Sunday, May 8, 2011

Niko's Giraffe T-shirt

Here is my first attempt to decorate one of the T-shirts. I am going to make a shape and fuse it to the T-shirt using vliesofix. Lets see if it is idiot-proof!









Steps:






  1. Go to the shop and buy some double sided fusible stuff to stick a fabric shape to fabric, I think it is called vliesofix.








  2. Trace a mirror image of your shape onto the non-textured side of the vliesofix (it will appear back the right way when you are finished.










  3. Iron it textured side down to your fabric. My mum recommended using greaseproof paper to save your iron.











  4. Cut out your shape from the fabric.









  5. Peel off the paper, leaving you with the fusible stuff on the shape.
























6. Iron the shape, fusible side down to your T-shirt.


















7. Sew the shape on to the T-shirt to hold it firm, using running stitch or small zig-zag.








Issues I had:



  • The vliesofix didn't seem to stick the shape to the T-shirt that well, even though I ironed it more than I have ironed anything for months (not hard to beat that record though!



  • It was quite hard to sew the giraffe on as it had skinny extremities. The end of its tail broke off in the process. Sus I hope you can create an exciting story for Niko, such as a close escape from a lion! Next time I think I would attempt solid shapes as these would be easier to sew on.

Any hints on how to overcome these difficulties?

No comments:

Post a Comment