Thursday, June 9, 2011

Man's shirt to girl's dress: Finishing

So once my dress looked like a dress I added some finishing touches.










1. I put bias binding around the neck. Obviously you can buy this, but it is pretty easy to make. MADE has a tutorial. You can also find how to put it on in this blog too.


2. I put material around the waist to run a ribbon through. I got M to put it on so I could mark her waist, I then got a strip of material 6cms wide (4cms for the ribbon and 1cm to fold under on each side). I ironed 1cm under on each side and then pinned it onto the dress. Don't forget to pin it on with the buttons done up so that you can work out where to finish so that you can tie the ribbon. I didn't the first time and my band went under the button strip so I couldn't do it in a bow and I had to do some unpicking.






3. Stitch the band on close to the edges.




4. Run some ribbon through by putting a safety pin on one end and feeding it through.






5. Hem it. I folded 1 cm under and ironed, then 2cms and ironed again to make a neat non-frayable edge.





I am very proud of the end result, even if it is very summery and its wet and cold here!

No comments:

Post a Comment