Sunday, September 18, 2011

3 star Michelin Baby Food Chef!

It never ceases to amaze me how many of my Mummy friends buy copius amounts of baby food. The reasons it surprises me are:

(a) Its expensive
(b) It tastes AWFUL especially the savoury stuff
(c) It is so easy to make your own
(d) Home made is better for your baby

I can't say I have never bought a tin of baby food, when we are travelling or out and about a lot I have resorted to the stuff in a jar, although I generally try to stick with the organic varieties.

I have had both ends of the appetite and fussiness sprectrums with my girls. Mia was (and still is) picky with her food. She wasn't really interested until she was about 8 months and would turn up her nose at my carefully prepared varieties of baby food. Ellie on the other hand seems to eat anything I serve up (so far), although she is currently going through an octopus stage where she has to try and grab everything so a lot of food ends up everywhere except in her mouth!

Making your own food seems such a simple concept to me. You need some fruit and veges (and later on dairy, meat and grains), a stick blender and some ice cube or muffin trays, and a pot of course. Chuck your ingredients in the pot with some water. Boil until really soft and then blend it and freeze it. Heat it in the microwave when you want it and voile! Start with simple root veges and fruit, and then get more complicated. Once its heated add some breast milk or water and rice cereal to take it to the desired consistency.

Ellie is 6 and a half months so what she can eat is expanding. Over the weekend I had a big cook up and here are some of my creations:

Mouse traps for chewing on. Neither or my girls have been that interested in bought rusks but marmite is a hit so these are slices of bread with marmite and cheese on them cooked very slowly to make them hard. Ellie loves them at the moment.



3 varieties of baby food:
1. Stewed pears and apples and also some prunes as Ellie sometimes needs a litte help in the number 2s department!

2. 2 varieties of lamb food. Lamb, kumara, lentils, carrot and date. Lamb, pasta, kumara and zucchini.

3. "Fish pie": Fish, potato, kumara, zucchini and a little bit of cheese.




If you are a big time buyer of commercial baby food, I challenge you to make your own!

1 comment:

  1. I do agree with you.

    AND would love to just throw in that Baby Led Weaning (BLW) is even less work. In fact almost none. Essentially the baby eats off your plate. We used a combination for Niko and worked great. I should think that little Ellie might be keen for this if she can tackle mousetraps. :-)

    ReplyDelete