Sunday, October 2, 2011

Discovery Box



I have read a couple of times on peoples blogs recently about how they have given their newly sitting up 6 or 7 month olds a discovery box and how it has kept them busy for ages. Ellie is 7 months and (unsteadily) sitting so I quickly (read: In about 1 minute!) chucked several things in an icecream container for her and set it in front of here. If I was a better and more organised mother there probably wouldn't be any plastic in there and I would have trolled the environment for natural things, but I haven't yet. Will get round to that some day!


Ellie loved exploring everything with her hands and her mouth, and it also made me ponder the differences between our two precious girls.




At first I thought to myself "why didn't I think of this with Mia!", but I guess I actually did in a way as I gave her household items to play with all the time, just not in a box! And then I thought "To be honest I don't think Miss Mia would have sat there for over half an hour playing with things and not wanting to move!". Mia came into the world wanting to do the next thing. She reached all her milestones early and then promptly worked on getting to the next one. She was also quick to tell you if she was annoyed and still is! But she is so smart and so like me in personality that it is scarey. She has the patience of a, well a 3 year old, and wants constant attention and playmates (as many firstborns do I think!).


Ellie arrived into the world calmly (and quickly!) with her unworldly big blue eyes calmly taking in the surroundings. She is content just to watch the world go by, and idolises her big sister. It is actually difficult to bore her, hence the discovery box being perfect for her! Having said that she has also had her challenges. Her big sister was quick to sleep for hours at night, Miss Ellie not so much! She was also refluxy and uncomfortable at feeding early on but that has long passed.


So each of my girls are so different from each other, and its wonderful that they already have different strengths and personalities. I look at them both in awe and cannot imagine having anything different (sorry mothers of boys I would love them just as much if I had them!). They are also so lovely to each other at the moment, and I am hoping that lasts for as long as possible!

1 comment:

  1. That's beautiful Sara. My two constantly amaze me at how different they are. I don't think it matters if both sisters, brothers or one of each. Children are just so interesting!

    PS. Don't mind me about the plastic stuff. My kids have plastic all the time and that's modern society. I just like the feel of natural things. Somewhere along the way I've become a 'Deep Ecologist'.

    ReplyDelete