Monday, October 3, 2011

Felt animal mask tutorial

So here is another felt tutorial, but it is a bit of a break from the food I have been making. The inspiration for this project started from a conversation I had with Mia before she went to daycare yesterday.

"Mum can you please make me a Pepa Pig mask today?" (Mia)


"I guess so" (Me) "Yes I am sure that I can" (as I realised that this could potentially be quite a fun project!)

Pretending to be an animal is big with Mia at the moment. We have Whiskers the cat, Wuffy the dog and most recently the whole family has to pretend to be Pepa Pig's family. This latest role play was inspired by her being plonked in front of youtube watching Pepa Pig clips while Nathan "babysat" while the All Blacks were playing. Nathan thinks Daddy Pig is hilarious (he is actually, completely clueless as many father cartoon figures are) so plays along with it. Ellie has to be her little brother George and pretend to be obsessed with dinosaurs (as much as a 7 month old can pretend) and I have to be Mummy Pig who sorts out all Daddy Pig's mistakes (quite like real life really!)

So while Mia was at daycare and Ellie asleep I decided to make each of these 3 characters a mask.

Pig mask

You will need: Pink felt, elastic, pink thread, black felt

These are the pieces you will need to cut out: Front and back mask panels, nose and 2 ears (from pink) and 2 black nostrils



Sew nostrils to the nose. Sew the ears onto the front of the back mask panel.





Cut elastic to fit around the child's head. Sew ends of elastic to front of back mask panel.




Top stitch the 2 mask panels together around the edges. Top stitch the nose onto the mask. You can also top stitch around the edges of the ears if you like.




Here's Pepa:



Cat mask



You will need: Black felt, pink felt, elastic, black thread



Cut out: 2 mask panels and 2 ears from black felt, a pink nose.



Follow exactly the same process as you did with the pig mask.



Dog Mask



You will need: Brown felt, elastic, brown thread, black felt



Cut out: 2 mask panels, 2 ears from brown felt. Black nose.



Follow exactly the same process as you did with the pig mask.




Wuffy the dog:

4 comments:

  1. Awesome! So much fun! Lucky Mia :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMGOSH! I love that piggy mask! As soon as I saw it I knew I had to make it for my daughter. Thanks for posting this. It was a great idea. You can check out the masks I made at http://notyournormalsteam.wordpress.com/2012/08/22/duck-a-palooza-part-4-homemade-gifts/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. do you have a template of the shapes/patterns to cut out?

    ReplyDelete