Thursday, November 24, 2011

Book Review: Growing up Sew Liberated by Meg McElwee

A few months ago I requested that the local library buy 3 books about sewing that I wanted to check out. They said that they would buy them, which at the time I was very excited about! I also got to have first look at them! Months later the first has appeared, not sure what has happened to the other two, but I was very excited to get this one to have a look at!

The book contains both clothes patterns for babies and children up to five, as well as some patterns for play objects such as a tee-pee, doll art folder. The pictures and styling are lovely, and the instructions are detailed and clear. The writer Meg McElwee has a blog and is also a Montessori early childhood teacher, so the book has a lot of great hints about playing with and teaching your pre-schoolers and using the objects in the book. Here is an example about teaching your child numbers:



Here are some of my favourites in the book that I am looking forward to making:

Crossover T-shirt, both long and short sleeved:



Doll Papoose:



Reversible play cape:




I love these pants!:




Can't see me getting through all those before the book is due back, but a highly recommend it if your local library has it. First of December tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment