Saturday, November 12, 2011

Doily Xmas ornament tutorial

I have had a couple of emails from participants in the Xmas ornament draw saying that their ornaments are finished, so I thought I should get organised and make mine, since I did organise it! I have been quite stuck on what to make, trying to come up with something a bit elaborate and original. Then I thought "The idea isn't to make something complicated, its just to make something that you like. I should set the example by keeping it simple!". So here is what I made!

You will need: Crochet doily or doilies, unbleached calico, thread, thin ribbon, stuffing (I used wool), lavender essential oil (optional)

I started off with a doily that had a border and 6 circles on the inside. I forgot to take a "before" picture, but here are the 6 circles I cut out:

For each crochet circle you will need 2 circles cut out of calico that are the same size. You will also need some ribbon to make a hanger for the ornament.


Pin and baste the crochet circle to one of the calico circles.


Pin and sew the ribbon on as shown below. Sew back and forth to ensure it is attached securely.



Place the other calico circle over top of the crochet, right side facing the crochet. Stitch right around the outside, leaving a small gap to turn the ornament right way out.



Turn the ornament out the right way, you may need to use a chopstick or something similar to poke all the edges out.


Stuff the ornament loosely with something appropriate. I used wool. I also added a few drops of lavender oil to the wool to make it smell nice. Any nice smelling essential oil would work. You could even stuff them with dried lavender or rose petals.



Stitch up the gap with a needle and thread and you're all done!!




I will get them posted out to my group in the next few days.


I even have the border of the doily left to embellish some clothing for my girls and make them look pretty

3 comments:

  1. They look lovely Sara. I better get on to my ornaments! I have all the equipment - just need to find the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a good use of an old doily :) I finished mine today... you got me cracking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! Wish I was in your group! I might make some :)

    ReplyDelete