Sunday, November 6, 2011

Pumpkin and Spinach lasagne


Between the ages of about 14 and 30 I was either completely vegetarian, or only ate a little fish and chicken. Since I started eating meat again I sometimes get lazy and rely on it to make a meal, rather than coming up with something vegetarian. I am trying to cook more vegetarian as it is better for you and usually cheaper! A couple of weeks ago I was at my parents house in Tauranga and remembered this lasagne recipe that I have cooked lots, but not for a while. It is also perfect for using up the spinach and silverbeet that is growing like crazy in the garden.

Pumpkin and Spinach Lasagne

1/2 pumpkin, cooked and mashed


250g tub cottage cheese


2 eggs, beaten


1 c grated cheese


2 c spinach or silverbeet without the stalks, chopped up


Fresh or dry lasagne sheets


A jar of tomato pasta sauce (or I make my own)


Grated parmesan or normal cheesefor the top


Mix the pumpkin, cottage cheese, cheese, eggs and spinach together. Grease a rectangular oven proof dish. Layer the lasagne by putting a layer of lasagne, then pumpkin mixture, then tomato sauce, then repeat. Top with cheese and bake at 200 C for about 20 mins until cheese is melted and pasta is soft. Serve with crusty bread and a salad.

1 comment:

  1. Yum ... I think I've had that lasagne at your place before. It was delicious!!

    ReplyDelete