Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Apricot Jam

On the way back from Gisborne after Christmas we stopped and got some stonefruit in Hawkes Bay. I got a big box of apricots to make jam with:


I often have real problems getting jam to set, even marmalade, so I have since resorted to adding pectin to the mixture just to be safe. Here is the recipe I followed. It made 7 big (750 or 800g) jars.



Apricot Jam

2.75kg apricots, halved and stoned

10-12 apricot kernels removed from the stones (I still don't know what the point of this is - any ideas!?)

2 1/2 c water

12 c sugar

70g packet of pectin (from supermarket)

Put kernels, apricots and water in a big pot and simmer slowly until fruit is pulpy. (At this stage I had to measure out half the fruit and add half the sugar and half the pectin in 2 batches as it makes a huge batch and my pot just wasn't big enough. Jam boils up a lot and makes a huge mess I have learnt by experience!). Add the sugar and pectin and boil briskly for 20 mins. Check that it has reached setting point by putting a little on a plate and putting it in the fridge for a couple of minutes. You should be able to draw a channel through the centre with your finger and the jam stays separated. Pour into sterilised jars. Yum!

1 comment: